lørdag den 2. oktober 2010

Episode 01 - The Small Hero! The Birth of Gin! (BETA)

 OH, NO, I KNOW YOU DIDN'T JUST TRY AND TAKE ONE OF MA' KIDS!

So here we go.

This episode is supposed to give people an idea of how I want to do Ginga Nagareboshi Gin, and also to get the word out that I am indeed doing it. Let's face it, I can't do this project all by myself as too much work is needed.

I've been trying to release this anime ever since I got my hands on the Scandinavian boxset. The source was progressive so no complicated de-interlacing needed there, but the rest was pretty fucked up. Like weird shit appearing after the opening, and one episode suddenly needing de-interlacing after all. Plus, the ending magically disappears in the later eps.

Then I got my hands on the reprint from 2008 which is so much better. Also, it contains previews so I'll need to find someone to translate those 15 seconds for me in each episode.

Video: 656x480 (4:3), 23,976 fps, H264, 2600 kBit/s (CRF19)
Audio: 2.0, AC3, 384 kBit/s
Subtitles: English ASS (read "Details" to find out more about them)

Karaoke: Simple, just softsubs. Translation is from Gendou. Not sure how accurate they are though.

Expect some iffiness, this is labelled (BETA) for a reason, but I still think most of you will enjoy it.

Feel free to point out mistakes I may not have caught yet. Also, feel free to ask any questions you have concerning this project though please make sure you've read the FAQ first.

Torrent: Click here
File Factory: Click here

Oh, and some comparisons to the current versions:

#1
anime.fin - Battouga - asd-fansubs

#2
anime.fin - Battouga - asd-fansubs

#3
anime.fin - Battouga - asd-fansubs

#4
anime.fin - Battouga - asd-fansubs

#5
anime.fin - Battouga - asd-fansubs

#6
anime.fin - Battouga - asd-fansubs

11 kommentarer:

  1. please tell me you didnt resize. also some of the screenshots looks slightly overcropped.

    SvarSlet
  2. "crop( 0, 0, 0, 0)"

    I didn't crop the source at all, it's that good.

    I encoded at 656px × 480px because that was the resolution it gave me, and then I set aspect ratio to 4:3 when I muxed everything.

    If anything my source actually has more content than anime.fin and asd's which is kind of mysterious in itself.

    SvarSlet
  3. Aren't DVD's without cropping in 720x480 resolution? Well at least all the DVDs I have seem to be like that.
    Also I say overcropped because if you look at #6, the little snow branch thing at the bottom right seem to be slightly cropped out when comparing the other to releases.

    SvarSlet
  4. The vob files have a resolution of 720x540 when played in VLC. In MPC-HC a resolution of 720x480.

    It seems I have to play a bit with this.

    As for the cropping it seems my encode has more stuff than anime.fin and asd's release in some cases. But in other cases my encode has less.

    Please check #1 anime.fin and Battouga. Battouga has way more content at the left, but anime.fin has a bit more on the right.

    SvarSlet
  5. Thanks for the advice, anonymous one.

    I just finished encoding without resizing, and then I set aspect ratio to 4:3 when I muxed the video and audio resulting in 720x480 when it was played with VLC. And MPC-HC says 720x480 too although I can see it's clearly being played in 640x480.

    SvarSlet
  6. thanx for your work :)
    plz keep translating :)

    SvarSlet
  7. Even though I know practically nothing about encoding, isn't 533 MB way too much for a 640 x 480, especially for an old show like GNG?

    SvarSlet
  8. It's because of the grain.

    Anyway, done re-timing lines, just need to edit episode 2 to some understandable English to have it released.

    I'll keep doing some BETA releases to gain some attention.

    SvarSlet
  9. I know it because of grain the file sizes are huge but is there really a reason to have it encoded at ~2600 kbps. The bitrate is way too high and if you encoded using x264, the resulting file will look the same (or very close) if it was encoded with just even the bitrate of 1600.

    SvarSlet
  10. If I don't encode it at CRF19 it'll look bad considering I am trying to retain the grain.

    Just be glad I am not going on CoalGirls on my encodes. CRF19 is lower than I would have wanted. But CRF16 gives quite the overkill filesize: 1GB. And the quality isn't a lot better.

    It's been one month since my first release. I still have some backlog at BakaBT I am trying to get done, but then school is probably going to take over that time I suddenly have. Don't expect a release more than one time each month.

    I'll try and get episode 2 out soon, but don't hold your breath.

    SvarSlet
  11. Forget CRF, run a 2pass 2000kbps (maybe slightly higher if you wish) and see how big the files are. I think it should be in the much more likable range.

    SvarSlet